Skip to content

Maggie’s Testimony.

June 28, 2012

I’m here to share my testimony- a story that is rarely, if ever, shared with the Crossroads readership. 

I’ve been involved with Crossroads for about eight years now. In 2004, I was signed on to work with Crossroads every summer for the foreseeable future. Over the past eight years, I’ve met many incredible people who are on fire for Christ and eager to spread the Pro-Life message to the grassroots level of this nation.

Over the last eight years, I’ve also been through some pretty crazy times and situations. I’ve climbed what seemed to be the highest of mountains, and dipped down into the lowest of valleys. I’ve endured searing heat and biting cold. My friends from each summer have given me many nicknames- this summer, the Crossroads Southern Walk has given me the nickname “Maggie the Majestic.”

Yes, I’m the Southern Walk RV. I’m here to give you my testimony from this summer. It’s been an incredible ride. I’ve been sick for most of the summer, but hopefully I’ve been repaired for the next six weeks (at minimum). God has provided for my friends on the Southern Walk team so that they could take good care of me.

Before the team even officially convened and the walks began, I went on a road trip with my dear friends Allison, Adam, Chelsea, Don, Alex, and Eddie from the east coast to Los Angeles. On the way out there, I got really sick and had to go see someone to take care of me near Yuma, Arizona. The team had to leave me all alone and drive five hours in a support van the rest of the way to Los Angeles. They left me there all alone with no friends for two whole days. But then my friends Alex and Adam came back to rescue me from the Arizona heat and to take me to meet the team for the first time.

So the team and I embarked on the grand adventure. Everything is going smoothly- the team and I got along really well, and I heard them say that I was their home. Three weeks went by, and everything was splendid. But when we arrived in Las Cruces, New Mexico, disaster struck. My friend Kathlene was driving me down a road (Majestic Ridge, ironically (since I am a Ford Majestic)) that had a very steep uphill climb. I tried and I tried, but something went wrong with my engine and I couldn’t make it up the hill. I passed out right there on Majestic Ridge. 

That week’s night shift was in a frenzy trying to figure out what was wrong with me. They checked my oil, looked in my engine, checked my tires, and did everything they could think of to see if they could help me. Finally, they had to call the nice people at AAA to get me towed to the nearest Ford dealership. They took me over there, and a couple of them waited for the news on what was wrong with me. They found out that my fuel pump had gone kaput, and another one had to be ordered. But it was a Friday afternoon- there was no way that it would arrive and be installed in my engine until at least Tuesday of the following week. My new family would have to live out of the support van, or so they thought, until I was repaired. So they told the dealership to order the part. They stayed with several lovely host families in Las Cruces for the weekend to speak of parishes. When the weekend was over, the team wasn’t sure what to do about a living situation. They had rented another vehicle and decided to keep it for the time being, but couldn’t live out of just it and the support van while having to walk. Fortunately, one of the host families offered to continue to host the entire team, and did so for almost an entire week. It became strenuous to have to drive from Las Cruces to the walking location (which was three hours away) though, and the team had to re-locate to Roswell.

Time kept passing and I still was not fixed. The team came to find out that the dealership I stayed with tried to fix me but couldn’t. My fuel tank had completely corroded, and they couldn’t get to the fuel pump they had to replace (even though they tried to chip away all the corrosion). The fuel tank was just too damaged, and another one had to be ordered- but that would take much longer. Three weeks total went by, and my team walked all the way from where they stopped near Socorro, New Mexico to just north of Dallas, Texas. And at last, I was reunited with my team. I was just as excited to see them as they were to see me, I’m sure. It was a long and lonely three weeks without them, but I’m very much looking forward to spending the last half of the summer with my Southern Walk family! God is so great for taking care of all of us, and especially for bringing us back together.

A special thanks goes out to all of you prayer warriors- please continue to pray for the safety and success of all the walkers (and RV’s!)! We’re certainly praying for you! God bless!

Maggie the Majestic and Kathlene Gorman

PS- Here are some photos to chronicle my experiences from this summer.


The first time I got sick in Yuma, AZ.


Getting towed from Majestic Ridge in Las Cruces, NM.


Where they left me all alone 😦


…Finally reunited with my family!
6 Comments leave one →
  1. Gloria M. Culy permalink
    June 28, 2012 11:28 pm

    You are right Maggie 🙂 we have been praying for you and your friends! Keep it up I know you can make it now! Love from Roseville, California 🙂

  2. Bernadette Pendleton permalink
    June 29, 2012 4:18 am

    Yeah!! Praise God from whom all blessings flow. I am so proud of all of you for hanging in there and not giving up on your walk. I pray that Maggie the Majestic will continue on her journey with no more break downs. Hugs & Blessings!! Bernadette Pendleton

  3. Philly Host Family permalink
    June 29, 2012 9:03 am

    ***smile*** I knew this had to be written by someone who is friends with Harvey Arvey and support van. Love it Kathlene!

  4. Fr. Dwight Hoeberechts, OMI permalink
    June 29, 2012 10:23 am

    Thanks for sharing this story about Maggie the Majestic and the Walkers of the Crossroads Pro-Life Southern Team. I remember all of those place which you mentioned from my 2009 Southern Walk across America. I remember all of the great host families and people along the way. I am glad “Maggie” is repaired once again, and can be your home as you continue the walk. You are all in my thoughts and prayers as I remember you when I offer Mass in my 3 parishes in NW Minnesota. Please keep sharing these amazing stories with all of us. And Thank You God for each of these Walkers who are Witnesses for Life and a Voice for the Unborn. Sincerely in Jesus Christ and Mary Immaculate, Fr. Dwight Hoeberechts, OMI

  5. Darrell permalink
    June 29, 2012 5:43 pm

    thanks for the update. We miss you all and can,t waint for you all next year.

    Please keep us posted Any of you are welcome anytime!

    Lindsey, Missy and Darrell in Las Cruces

  6. Vanda S. Lattie permalink
    July 5, 2012 6:41 am

    Hi Guys and Gals….I feel so bad for “Maggie” and the team for what you have endured this summer. Mr Pat and our “Maggie” await 5 of the team members to spend the weekend with us here in NOLA. Your “Maggie” will be taken to the best and most honest mechanic I know who will do all in his power to make “Maggie” better. Mr. Emile awaits for “Maggie’s” arrival sometime today, July 5….YOU WALKERS INSPIRE ME EVERYDAY and I tell everyone how excited we are to host you for this weekend…..I will also send back a few goodies for the team members who will stay in north Louisiana this coming weekend…GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU…..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: